In order to be truly happy, we must detach from all the things that hinder our growth and negatively affect our mental health. It’s not always easy, but once we change our mindset and use the right tools, we’re halfway there.
I have created a list of sixty mantras and affirmations that will help you let go of all those things that should no longer be part of your life. If you don’t have time to read the following paragraphs, feel free to skip to the mantras at the end. You can then download a PDF version of the whole list.
Letting go of the past
You need to realize that each and every one of us has gone through pain in the past, whether it was our own mistakes, disappointment, or a major negative life event. If you find it difficult to let go of the person you used to be, or the life you used to have — you are not alone.
The good news is that although what happened so far has shaped our personality, it doesn’t have the power to define us if we don’t allow it to. The past is simply something you have experienced; it’s not you, and you shouldn’t identify with it.
Unless we forget the past, we won’t be able to embrace the future and move on, so it’s vital that you take action now and decide to let go. I’m sure your past is full of good memories too, but to truly change, grow, and become the best version of yourself, you need to say goodbye to it.
Letting go of someone
As human beings, we hate change more than anything else. Unfortunately, this often gets to the point where we hold on to things that cause us pain. We know these things are bad for our mental health, yet we find it difficult to detach emotionally because when we do, our mind perceives too much uncertainty.
We’ve all been through times in which we simply couldn’t stop thinking about a particular person; and the more we tried to forget, the more our mind would remind us of how much we needed that person, and how emotionally dependent we were.
But just like it’s essential to let go of the past so we can embrace the future, it’s equally important to let go of those who no longer have a place in our lives so that our heart is ready to embrace new people. Through mantras, you can condition your mind so it finds it easier to forget someone you are holding on to.
The importance of forgiveness
Typically, when someone hurts us — consciously or unconsciously — our natural reaction is to hold a grudge against them. We feel very intense emotions: resentment, anger, and bitterness. This works well as a defence mechanism, but in terms of our mental health, it’s not what we should do as it causes unnecessary stress and anxiety.
When we forgive, on the other hand, we let go of all the negative emotions we feel toward a certain person or group of people; we decide to be stronger than our own unhelpful thoughts and feelings, and simply move on.
The truth is that while anger can be a healthy emotion, prolonged feelings of resentment always work against you. When you hold a grudge against someone, your mental health takes a toll; your energy, vitality, and happiness decrease. The act of forgiveness helps you go back to a calm state of mind, where you stop dwelling on what happened to you. You feel liberated from your own toxic emotions, and you are able to focus all your energy on your own life.
What are mantras?
The term mantra is made of two separate words: man, which means mind, and tra, which means vehicle. Mantras are, then, a tool to direct and transport our mind toward a different state. Originally, mantras were used to facilitate yoga practices; students would chant or silently repeat sacred words, and that would help them shift their awareness.
Today, the word mantra doesn’t just refer to meditation, but also words or phrases that are repeated frequently. If you need to let go of something or someone, and you need to condition your mind to do so, you can think of mantras as positive affirmations — statements you repeat over and over again until your subconscious surrenders to them.
The more frequently you use the following mantras, and the more focused your mind is when you repeat them, the sooner you will notice their effects. It takes time to change your mindset, so don’t expect this to work overnight — although you may feel better even after a single session.
60 mantras for letting go
- My heart has healed
- I let go of my negative emotions
- I let go of things that hinder my growth
- My happiness and mental health are more important than anything else
- Letting go is the best thing I can do
- I choose to move on
- I choose to focus on the present moment
- I am not afraid
- The past is over
- The past does not exist anymore
- This is the beginning of a new chapter
- As I move on, I feel liberated
- As I move on, I experience inner peace
- I am not the person that I used to be
- I go with the flow
- I embrace change
- I move forward in my life
- I focus on what makes me happy
- I forgive myself and I forgive others
- I focus on the things that I want
- I don’t give in to darkness
- I am now the best version of myself
- I let go of my expectations
- I let go of the need to control things
- I let go of the past and embrace the future
- I love myself
- Every day is a new chance
- I am free from pain and suffering
- I am free from anger
- I am free of burdens
- When I forgive, I am happier
- I trust the universe
- I choose love over hate
- My life is filled with joy
- Things will work out no matter what happens
- I am open to meeting new people and trying new things
- All is well
- I am grateful for the opportunity to move on
- I have healed my wounds
- I am free from resentment
- I deserve peace of mind
- I deserve to be free
- I deserve to feel love
- I do not hold on to things I cannot control
- The past does not define me
- The pain I experienced does not define me
- I say goodbye to the things that no longer belong to my life
- I decide how I feel
- I am safe
- My happiness is my responsibility and it does not depend on the outer world
- I attract positivity in my life
- I am ready to live my new life
- When I let go, I grow
- When I let go, I am happy
- When I let go, I am more powerful
- I don’t need anyone’s permission to move on
- There is no need to control everything in my life
- I create my destiny
- When I silence negative thoughts, I grow
- Forgiveness is a gift to myself and the world
Thank you for reading this article! You can download the list of mantras by clicking on this button: