Having a healthy body image is essential. It affects your confidence, your self esteem, and your life in general. Unfortunately, most people find it hard to love and appreciate their body; some hate it, and become very insecure.
According to a survey by Glamour magazine, up to 97 percent of women have at least one negative thought about their body — every single day. There are many reasons why you may develop a negative body image. It may be growing up in an environment where too much importance is placed on looks. It may be being bullied, or socially excluded, when we are little.
Or, it may be the toxic, fake beauty standards we are constantly bombarded with by social media, magazines, ads, or TV shows. It is no secret that today’s body standards are often unrealistic, yet many of us end up being insecure, anxious, or even depressed unless we look a certain way.
If you have too many negative thoughts about your body, it’s vital that you take action and change your mindset as soon as possible. There are many things you can do to improve your body image, including talking to an experienced therapist and surrounding yourself with people who love you.
Affirmations are another powerful way to change the way you look at yourself in the mirror. I have created a list of fifty affirmations you can use to improve your body image, self esteem, and confidence. Choose the ones that resonate with you and make you feel happy, then use them every day to reprogram your mind. At the end of the list you will also find a link to download the affirmations.
The importance of self love
I have included affirmations for self love as well, because it’s extremely important. Though our body image is influenced by society and our environment, it is usually a reflection of our self esteem as well.
People who don’t believe they are worthy of love can easily fall into the trap of a poor body image; those who believe in themselves, on the other hand, are basically immune.
As one of the affirmations says, you should always treat yourself as you would treat your best friend, or someone you love. You really have to learn to love yourself before you can do anything else in life. Self love is the foundation of happiness and success. Improve your sense of self worth and you will develop a better body image effortlessly.
The importance of healthy eating
A famous quote says: work out because you love your body, not because you hate it. The same applies to the food you choose to eat every day. You choose natural, healthy food because you want to nourish and take care of your beautiful body — not because you’re on a diet and you need to lose weight.
It’s fine to have fitness goals that motivate you, but ultimately the main reason you eat healthy must be self love. You want more energy, more happiness, more vitality. You want to wake up each morning and feel amazing, so you can live life to the fullest. You want to be the best version of yourself.
This is why the last affirmations are about healthy eating. You want to respect your body and give it the food it deserves. There is no need to be obsessed with the way you eat, or force yourself to follow a strict diet, but you need to treat your body as if it was your best friend. It will make you healthier, and happier.
Affirmations for a positive body image
- I am unique
- I am beautiful and confident
- Modern beauty standards are unrealistic
- My body is a beautiful temple
- I deserve the love of others regardless of how I look
- People appreciate me for my unique attitude and personality
- I choose what beauty is
- I never compare myself to others
- I am able to overcome my insecurities and be the most confident I have ever been
- My body does not define my identity
- I focus on what I like about myself
- I am grateful for my body type
- My body is a gift
- I am perfect the way I am
- If I choose to work on my body, I do so to feel healthier, not to punish myself
- Focusing on happiness will make me happy; having unrealistic standards will not
- I am grateful for aging
- I am the only one judging myself: people don’t care
- Happiness is the most beautiful dress I can wear
- I am more than just my body
Affirmations for self love and self worth
- I am more than enough
- I am whole
- I treat myself as I would treat my best friend, or someone I love
- Negative thoughts will not help me in any way
- I engage in positive self talk because it makes me happy
- I need to put myself first before I can help others
- I love myself
- I deserve the best
- I deserve to be loved and admired just like anybody else
- Taking care of myself feels amazing
- I may have negative thoughts about myself sometimes, but these thoughts are not my identity
- Self care is not selfish; me time is not a waste of time
- I am not my mind, and I silence the part of my mind that says I am not enough
- I am at peace with who I am
- I respect myself and others respect me
- I do not determine my self worth based on my appearance
- Happiness is my responsibility
- Each morning, when I wake up, I choose to believe in myself
- I spend my time with those who love, support, and encourage me
Affirmations for healthy eating
- I choose to nourish my body with the food it needs
- When I eat the right food, I have more energy, strength, and vitality
- When I eat the right food, my mood improves
- Healthy meals are delicious
- I drink more water and make sure I am hydrated
- I love eating healthy, natural, nutrient rich foods
- The more I eat healthy, the more it becomes a habit, the easier it will be
- Food is fuel
- My body loves healthy food
- I take care of my body by eating right and getting enough sleep
- Unhealthy food may taste good, by my well being is always a priority
So there you have it! I hope these affirmations will help you improve your self esteem and finally learn to love your body. As a friendly reminder, if you are struggling with a very negative body image, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Sharing your thoughts and feelings with a therapist can help you immensely.
I have created a file with the whole list of affirmations. If you want, you can download the file here: